As we anticipate the milestones – the tearful goodbyes and nervous hellos – may we remember these firsts and lasts are small parts of the great big middle. The next step is natural and good even as we may grieve all we leave behind.
Enjoy your weekend, friends. Here are a few good reads for along the way:
- A Staying Prayer for Mothers of College Freshmen by me // Because someone else needs to read this one today.
- 13 Final Lines of TV Shows That Will Make You Tear Up by Andy Neuenschwander for BuzzFeed // Because these are all wildly successful shows, but most of the final lines the writers chose to end them represent normal, everyday moments. That seems significant to me.
- Hope for When You Feel Small, a post I wrote for Ann Voskamp // Because sometimes it’s easy to focus on the stage and forget sacred things happen in the stairwells, too.
- When I Grow Up by Compassion International // Because these children may live in poverty, but poverty doesn’t live in them – as evidenced by these faces filled with hope for the future.
- The Hope*ologie Podcast with Dad, Sister, and me // Because maybe you need some family kind of company in your earbuds this weekend, and this easy conversation about hope, smallness, and writing could be just right. Listen here on Soundcloud or here on iTunes.
- Book Signing at Barnes & Noble // Because I’ll be at my local B&N on Tuesday August 25 at 7 pm and I would love to see you there if you live nearby! (3102 Northline Ave Greensboro, NC)